Thursday, July 19, 2012

PREPARING TO GET READY TO START TO BEGIN - PACKING FOR RAGBRAI


  1. The Habitual Cyclist, has ridden road bikes for 39 years. He lives in western Kentucky with his wife and two Border Terriers, despite advice from friends "never get a dog smarter than you are". He is riding his third RAGBRAI starting July 22, 2012. Write him with questions and comments at cycle habit@gmail.com

    I have a peculiar way of packing for long tours like RAGBRAI, the 470 mile ride across Iowa. I start weeks ahead putting things I will need or think I might need on a bed in the spare bedroom. As I think about it I pile it on -- jerseys, riding shorts, socks, gloves, t-shirts and regular shorts for more formal occasions, and even a small D-battery powered fan (a great creature comfort on a hot night inside a tent).


    There's a pile for soap, toothpaste, prescription drugs (and a lot of aspirin, my analgesic of choice). Everything (bar light, seat post light, handlebar computer, saddle bag, pedals) has to come off my bike for the truck trip to Iowa. That takeoff gear goes in with my clothes.. My saddle bag always has a spare tube, tire tools, CO2 cartridges, allen wrenches, some wipes and two Clif bars. I pack extra tubes, cartridges and food bars in my luggage. 


    Each day's riding clothes go into two-gallon size ZipLoc bags. After I shower each evening I turn my dirty clothes inside out put them back in the clear bag (with a hefty sprinkle of baking soda). I can tell at a glance these clothes need washing and for the sake of all the 15,000 riders at RAGBRAI should not be worn a second day . It is possible to wash a jersey and have it be dry the next morning but if you wash your shorts the pad will most likely still be damp. I take along a long sleeve jersey in hopes that the weather will turn cool enough along the way that the long sleeves will feel good. I carry a Gore-Tex rain jacket in a string bag if the day's forecast has more than a 40% chance of rain. Less than that and I will take a chance on getting wet. 


    Plastic bags are a good friend on a long ride. Everything in my luggage goes into a sealed plastic bag. If something is not in a bag, it will get rained on and soaked. If it is in a plastic bag, it probably won't rain. Luggage doesn't magically go from the shuttle truck to inside your tent. It sits in the great outdoors until you pedal into camp at the end of the day and put it inside your tent. Only seasoned riders privy to the whims and fancies of the rain spirits know this kind of secret stuff so pay close attention.


    Before I get the pile on the bed packed into the ZipLocs I look for something I can leave at home. A 7-day 470 mile ride has to be pretty minimalist. I have learned the hard way I don't want to lug something along that I might not use. No books (I have a Kindle), no camera (I have a smart phone), no towel (the shower vendors have them), no long pants (why?). On a long tour my life pretty much revolves around ride-shower-eat-sleep-repeat. If some belonging doesn't support one of those activities I don't bother to bring it. I don't need much in the way of bike tools, just the tire levers and the two allen wrenches. There is a well equipped repair stand staffed by a good mechanic at almost every major rest stop along the way. If you start wondering whether or not you will need something while you are packing, lean strongly towards "no".


    In short, keep it simple, keep it light, keep it fun and roll on. 


    Sent from my iPad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment