Wednesday, July 25, 2012

THAT FUNNY FEELING

You know that funny feeling. Something is not right but can't quite figure out what it is? I had that feeling twice Monday morning. The first time was when I put my bicycle shorts on backwards. It was pitch dark when I got dressed and I didn't want to light up my tent. I kept wanting to sit on my bike facing backwards.

After I turned my shorts around I rode 12 miles to Aurelia for a big plate of Chris Cakes, an Iowa favorite of mine. I felt fine but the moment I swung off my saddle I boinked. That word isn't in my dictionary but it means listless, weak, dizzy and otherwise not fit to crank out another five miles.

Thus boinked I walked slowly to the EMT's at the Aurelia fire house. A blood pressure, a glucose test and an oximeter reading later I was in an ambulance headed to a nearby hospital.

My ride partner and pastor, Fr. Pat Connell, called my wife and told her not to worry. How do you say that and not worry someone?

Two hours later I was discharged with a diagnosis of Inadequate electrolytes and fluids which caused a drop in blood pressure and some irregular heartbeat.

I knew better. Last year on RAGBRAI I drank a bottle of G2 ever hour I rode. Not this year. I cheated. I figured I could get some G2 later, drink some more water later. Actually the ER doc said water wouldn't have done much good. I needed the blue, red, yellow or azure stuff. Don't Like the taste? Tough. Cowboy (or girl) up and drink your electrolytes. No rhubarb pie until you finish your azure stuff.

Don't like rhubarb pie? There's some obscure RAGBRAI rule you have at least one slice. I love it.

Drink and Roll on.

1 comment:

  1. The best hotels as well as the best value hotels are all included in out listings. Whether you want to plan a quick and cheap trip to San Antonio or you want to book a Plaza hotel or a fancy resort for your family vacation in San Antonio, this is the website where you’ll find the best hotels. San Antonio Hotels

    ReplyDelete